Last Updated: October 27, 2023
1. What Categories of Personal Information Do We Collect?
We collect, process and maintain several types of information, some of which may constitute Personal Information, from and about users of the Sites. “Personal Information” means any information that identifies, relates to, describes, is reasonably capable of being associated with or could reasonably be linked, directly or indirectly, with a particular person, but does not include any information that is publicly available or that is aggregated or de-identified (as such terms are defined under applicable data protection laws).
The types of Personal Information we collect depends on how you choose to interact with our Sites. For instance, if you choose to create an account in connection with the Catalogue Raisonné to bookmark artworks and store personal notes, we will need different information than if you simply visit our Sites for informational or educational purposes. As a general matter, we may collect the following categories of Personal Information about you in connection with your use of our Sites, only when you voluntarily choose to provide them to us, including:
- Identifiers, such as your name, email address, organization name, or other similar identifiers;
- Any other Personal Information provided by you, including any Personal Information you include in the notes that you provide for storage by us in connection with your use of the Catalogue Raisonné.
Additionally, we may automatically collect certain information about you through online technologies when you visit our Sites that may also constitute Personal Information; such information may include:
- IP address or other device address or ID;
- The type of browser, operating system or equipment used to access our Sites;
- Usage details, such as the date and time you visited our Sites, the Internet address of the site from which you linked to our Sites, the links you follow from our Sites and the reading history and other analytics related to how you use and view the content we have provided via our Sites; and
- General activity information as part of our and our Service Providers’ (as defined below) fraud-prevention programs.
2. From What Sources Do We Collect Personal Information?
A. Information you provide:
We collect the Personal Information you voluntarily choose to provide through the Sites, such as when you register for an account, bookmark artworks, provide notes for storage by us in connection with your use of the Catalogue Raisonné or contact us or request information about us or our Sites (whether by email or other means).
B. Information we automatically collect:
When you visit our Sites, or use a third-party website that interacts with our Sites, we may automatically receive and record certain information from your computer, web browser or mobile device that may constitute Personal Information (as further described above).
Do Not Track Disclosure. Third parties such as advertising networks, analytics providers and widget providers may collect information, including Personal Information, about your online activities over time and across different websites when you access or use our services. Currently, various browsers offer a “Do Not Track” option, but there is no standard for how “Do Not Track” should work on commercial websites. Due to lack of such standards, our Sites do not respond to “Do Not Track” consumer browser settings.
3. How Do We Use the Personal Information We Collect?
We may use the Personal Information we collect about you for the following purposes:
- To administer and maintain your Catalogue Raisonné account, including storing the notes that you provide in connection with your bookmarked artworks and making such notes accessible to you.
- To provide you with information you request from us or to fulfill any other purposes for which you provide such information.
- To contact you for administrative purposes such as account recovery or to notify you of changes to our Sites, our policies or our services.
- To: (a) personalize our services, such as your information so that you will not have to re-enter it during your visit or the next time you visit our Sites and/or (b) improve our services, including to detect and improve fraud detection and information security.
- For any other purpose for which we have your express consent.
- For any other purpose we may describe to you when you provide such information.
Additionally, we or our Service Providers (as defined below) may use non-identifying information (including aggregated data) about your use of our Sites to understand and analyze the usage metrics and trends and preferences of our users, to monitor, analyze the effectiveness of or otherwise improve our Sites, and to improve fraud detection and information security, without restriction.
4. To Whom and For What Purpose Do We Disclose Your Personal Information?
- To our third-party service providers, including website operators, analytics providers, hosting providers and other third-party service providers (the foregoing “Service Providers”), to provide website development, hosting, data storage, maintenance, legal, advisory and other services for us.
- To third parties as permitted or required to do so by applicable law or regulation or in the good-faith belief that such action is necessary to take precautions against liability; to comply with various reporting obligations; to protect ourselves and our other users from fraudulent, abusive, or unlawful uses or activity; to protect the security or integrity of the Site; to investigate and defend ourselves against any third-party claims or allegations; to assist government enforcement agencies; to comply with state and federal laws; or in response to a court order, judicial or other government subpoena or warrant.
- To a buyer or other successor in the event of a divestiture, merger, consolidation, or asset sale, whether as a going concern or in the unlikely event of a bankruptcy or similar proceeding.
- To any other third party in any way we may describe to you when you provide such information, to fulfill any other purposes for which you provide such information or for any other purpose with your consent or at your direction.
Additionally, we may disclose aggregated information about our users, and information that cannot independently be used to identify any individual, without restriction.
5. Your Choices.
- You may, of course, decline to share certain information with us, in which case we may not be able to provide to you some of the features and functionality of our Sites. For example, the Catalogue Raisonné can be accessed without creating an account; however, unless you create a Catalogue Raisonné account and provide the required Personal Information, you will not be able to bookmark artworks or store notes for your later access or use.
- Once you have registered for a Catalogue Raisonné account, you may update, correct, or delete your account information and preferences at any time by contacting [email protected].
Your Privacy Rights under the California Shine the Light Law: California Civil Code Section 1798.83, (“Shine the Light Law”) permits California residents to opt out of the disclosure of their personally identifiable information to third parties for marketing purposes at any time. Please note that we do not disclose your personally identifiable information to third parties for marketing purposes, so no opt-out is needed.
6. Our Commitment to Children’s Privacy.
Protecting the privacy of young children and minors is especially important. For that reason, we do not allow children under 13 years of age to use our Sites, we do not knowingly collect or maintain information from persons under 13 years of age, and no part of our Sites are directed to persons under 13 years of age. If you are under 13 years of age, then please do not use or access our Sites at any time or in any manner.
If you discover that a child under 13 years of age has provided us with information, please alert us at [email protected].
7. Our Commitment to Data Security.
We use certain safeguards that are designed to protect the integrity and security of your Personal Information; however, no security measures are perfect or impenetrable, so we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us through our Sites, and you do so at your own risk. You are also responsible for keeping your Personal Information secure. We also cannot guarantee that your information will not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our safeguards. We are not responsible for circumvention of any privacy settings or security measures contained on our Sites. Even after removal, copies of information that you have posted may remain viewable in cached and archived pages or if other users have copied or stored such information.
Data Retention. Some features of our Sites allow you to provide content, such as personal notes on your bookmarked artwork in your Catalogue Raisonné account. To the extent and for the period permitted by local law, all such content submitted to us or third parties in connection with your use of the Catalogue Raisonné, or our Sites generally, may be retained by us.
8. Visitors from Outside the United States.
Our Sites are controlled and operated by RLF in the United States. If you choose to access our Sites from outside the United States, you acknowledge that you will be transferring your information, including Personal Information, outside of those regions into the United States for storage and processing, as necessary to provide to you the products and services available through our Sites.
10. Our Contact Information:
The Roy Lichtenstein Foundation
745 Washington St, New York, NY 10014
* * *